Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Experience with free Windows 10 video editor, but...

After I made my article that literally explained about how's my overall experience with that good old Windows Movie Maker that I recently installed it in my current πŸ’» that I'm using right now, it's time to retrospect it for a bit by explaining about my overall experience of (supposed to be) it's "successor", which used to be available for pure free since I acquired my own πŸ’» with Windows 10 installed. Without further ado, let me particularly explain about my about my experience with this particular video editor, right away.

Again, just like that old Windows Movie Maker (even if it looked so different compared to that classic version that everybody would know and enjoyed), there's nothing else that I could say to this particular video editor, apart from the fact this used to be available for free from the Photos app, yet according to some random sources online, it was also known as "Microsoft Story Remix". Yes, it also had limited features just like it's own predecessor that I was talking about, but it had several differences between this and that aforementioned video editor, such as:

  1. Unlike that old Movie Maker which would you to save any of the edited footages into a project file (.wlmp), this one simply saved the edited footages immediately after you close the project itself. Except, any of the selected media files that I included them into it also copied them into certain folders too (for instance, Libraries > Pictures > Video Projects for both picture and video files for some reason, and Libraries > Music > Video Projects for audio files, respectively). πŸ“
  2. In order to trim or split video footages, it always introduced me to do one of the said ways in it's own separate editing window to do so per each of them both. ✂🎞
  3. In order to add either stock music tracks or any of my own music or sound tracks to certain parts of the edited footage (including how I trimmed certain parts of the music or sound tracks itself), it also introduced me to do it in it's own separate editing window to do so. ✂🎡🎢🎼
  4. In order to add any of stock title cards (or stock captions) that came with it, it also introduced me to do it in it's own separate editing window to select which one that I'd want among all of those ones that were available in there (including that Comic Sans one, ugh).
  5. It had an option to remove black bars on any of my own pictures with (mostly) 4:3 aspect ratio, unlike that old Movie Maker, which didn't have any. πŸ–Ό
  6. It also had a feature to add certain 3D objects and certain visual effects that came particularly with it, which most of them had their own unique sound effects too.

Even though it did work just fairly decent as what I expected since I initially discovered it, of course there were some flaws that it specifically had during I tried to edit my own videos on it, such as:

  1. NO option for adding transitions between two pictures of videos at all... Simple as that.
  2. Most of the stock music tracks that came with it were copyrighted. This was occurred in few of my videos that I edited using it with most of those music tracks that I literally added on them. Then, I uploaded them on YouTube, and after few moments later, they were detected if most of those music tracks that I put on them were copyrighted indeed. Not only just that, it also didn't have a feature to trim the music tracks that came with it into specific position of the edited video footage itself, unlike any of my own music tracks that I put on it, which they simply did. ©πŸŽ΅⚠
  3. The edited video footages sometimes stuttered for a little bit during I tried to play the edited footages through it's own preview pane, and it also even led into a black screen for a brief moment.
  4. Even if it had cool selection of title cards (or captions), there were no options to customize those texts anyway.
  5. No option for adding both fade in and fade out audio transitions for the videos, unlike how it literally had that particular feature for any of my own music or sound tracks that I added them on it.
  6. The exporting process sometimes stuck, especially during I tried to export my edited video footages that had certain amount of length and quality that I'd export it to (which I usually set it to 1080p).

After I used it particularly as a simple video editor for roughly 2 years, it eventually omitted for real since the Photos app itself literally updated to it's latest version. Even if the Video Editor app is still present until today, it literally redirects me into the newer Photos app itself without the said video editor itself. Instead, it offered me to install Microsoft Clipchamp, which I already experienced it for a little bit in one of my articles that literally explained about video editors that I ever used on my own current πŸ’» in general. However, I found out the way to revisit it back by downloading it's own separate legacy version of the Photos itself, but I don't think if I'm able to do so for editing even more of my own videos specifically using it for now... Well, if you also have an experience when it comes to editing your own video footages using one of these, feel free to say your experience with it in the comments section if you still recognize it anyway, albeit it's obviously less memorable than that old Movie Maker. That's it for what I could specifically say to it, and as always, thanks for reading this particular article.

No comments:

Post a Comment